Saturday, February 7, 2009

Facing the Elements

Who in the world ever decided that camping was fun?

I mean, sure, if you take a bunch of friends, food, and booze, it can be a pretty exciting expedition, but then you're not really roughing it either. But who in their right mind just thinks, let's leave our fancy running water and heat behind and go be "one with nature."

Well, here I am, organizing my pack for today's camping trip. All the women in the group are wondering just how cold it's going to get out there, while the men are deciding on just how much beer is necessary. Don't get me wrong, this will not be miserable by any means. We will be fully equipped with two coolers full of food and drink, a stove, at least three lanterns, and a plethora of blankets, tents, and sleeping bags. There will be no hiking of any kind and bathrooms are about thirty yards away. Plus, there is a grocery store about eight minutes down the road in case we need something.

I try not to be one of those high maintenance girls, but is it so bad to want to not freeze to death while I sleep? [Note: None of you Northerners give me that crap about "you don't know cold," or I'll give you a lecture about the heat in summer here.] I mean, I'm already anticipating the shower afterward. There is nothing like camping to make you appreciate modern amenities, like soap or Glade plug-ins.

So off I go in a few hours, dear blog friends, to be one with that nasty thing we call nature. Pray I don't get eaten by coyotes.

Note to Self: And you need to step over here and tell Colby happy birthday! (Or happy Kwanza, she may like that better...) Happy birthday Colbella! I hope it's a great one!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to camp out when I was a teenager and they were usually an excuse to drink! I can't imagine now, as an adult, wanting to go camping for any reason. I hope you have fun though. ;)

DEL said...

I loved camping as a kid. Now my idea of camping involves a hotel reservation!

Anonymous social worker said...

camping, omg, don't even get me started, I love camping, but it's freezing cold up in here. I wouldn't be a ble to survive one night during this winter.

corporalswife said...

Have fun! Our family goes camping every year. I like it because it's the only time dh does most of the cooking, and cleaning!

Sarah Jane said...

I can't wait for our annual camping trip coming up this year in June!!!
I LOVE camping and eating camping food over a campfire and the smores...and just all of it. No where to be, nothing to do but relax!!!!

pure evyl said...

I love to camp but to be perfectly honest I am a fair weather camper only. Good luck.

Danielle said...

I definitely prefer "camping" to real camping. Tents and beer are much more fun than actually roughing it.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind camping. Although camping this time of year really doesn't sound that fun to me. Hope you had fun and that you shared a beer with the coyotes.

BTW, your post about overheard conversations is hilarious! It makes me think of some of my family members...

Anonymous said...

Uh hem, I'm a northerner, but I did live in Savannah for two years. When you start to complain about the heat and humidity, I will more than keep my mouth shut! Oh and lets not forget the state bird of GA, the mosquito!

colbymarshall said...

Thank you, thank you my dear! I appreciate it!!!