Monday, April 6, 2009

Starting Over

That's what this week is all about - starting over.

On Friday afternoon, I was laid-off from my position at work, along with four others, and pushed out the door into the unknown. So after packing up my pictures and dropping the extra candy from my dish at the front desk with the one person in the office who actually tried to get to know me during my tenure, I called the cop and met him for a drink.

My first thought was not "oh, crap, I don't have a job" or "how am I going to pay my bills?" No. My first thought was "thank God, I never have to wear those ugly uniform shirts ever again."

I can't say I didn't learn anything from the position. The details of print manufacturing are now ingrained in my cerebellum, and I have a better idea of the marketing design process, including what good design looks like.

I also learned that if you are hired by a family member, people will assume you have no talent and avoid you like the plague - banishing you to plenty of lunches spent eating alone. And I learned that there are some who go above and beyond to be nice, to learn about you, and ultimately befriend you regardless. (You know who you are.)

Even though I'm still young, and I have new careers ahead of me, and I'm finishing my MBA, I can't help but think about the other four people who lost their job with me and wonder what they are going to do. Some had been at the company for a long time, and I couldn't imagine one day just not having a job.

Ah, well. Onward and forward, I guess. As of this weekend, I have five applications floating around for various jobs. Here's to hoping I get one.

Note to Self: Anyone in need of a hot blonde with a degree?

11 comments:

nicedaydesigns said...

I'm really sorry to hear you were let go from your job, unfortunately it's far too common these days, but at least you are keeping a positive attitude. Good luck with the job hunting

monica said...

I'm sorry, it's never fun being told to go, more fun just leaving... you know, this gives room for new possibilities! good and exciting ones! Good luck with everything - you are so funny and talented, the world is at your feet!

the Grit said...

Hi MJ,

OMG, but I hate those jobs where you have to wear a uniform! Well, unless it's one where you have to carry a gun. Did you, by chance, have to do a company cheer? (shudder!) Been there, done that, made me want to go on a shooting spree. You can do better.

the Grit

Anonymous said...

MJ, just out of curiosity, was this expected? Was there water cooler talk of this? I never know if people are aware of these layoffs when they happen.

Good luck in the job search, you're a witty gal (and a cute blond) who shouldn't have a problem finding a job soon.

Luck!

Anonymous said...

That sucks...I am so sorry. I expect Ill get the ole pink slip anytime now if something doesnt change and soon.

hang in there, smart blondes dont stay on any market for long. :-)

pure evyl said...

Good luck on the job front. Just be sure and mention that you are a hot blond on the resume. It has to help.

Danielle said...

Sucks that you're out of work, but it sounds like it might not be a bad thing. Best of luck finding a new job. If you're in the market for a low-paying, irritating, not-at-all-requiring-an-MBA job, let me know - our office seems to be hiring constantly (of course, we also seem to have people quit constantly).

Anonymous said...

Wow. Did you see this coming? Somehow I don't think you are going to have any trouble finding a new job. You have it all.

jennyevelyn said...

Oh I am so sorry! I know you will find what is right for you...sometimes God will make you move onto something better...thats how i ended up with my own company!

MJ said...

All - Thank y'all for your wonderful words of wisdom and well-wishes. I'm more hopeful than not, so I see good things happening from this. (At least until I become totally broke!)

House Wife said...

I too have been wondering if anyone is in need of a hot blonde (milf) with a degree.... *JK... sort of* I'm sorry to hear you have joined the not so exclusive club of the unemployed. I hope it all works out for you soon!