Sunday, July 27, 2008

OCD

I think everyone is a little OCD in their own way, but Colby asked me in the comments section of a post to describe what kind of OCD tendencies I have.

I am a freak about my feet. No seriously. Stay away from me if my feet aren't cute, soft, and pedicured, because there is something wrong with me.

I add differently than most people. I don't actually just add the numbers in my head. I visualize specific "counting dots" on every number - for example the #1 had one dot on the top, the #2 has one dot at the tip of the curve and one at the tip of the bottom line, the #3 has a dot at each of the tips and the bend... it's hard to describe without showing you, but that's how my California elementary school teacher taught me how to add. And that's how I kicked the pants off of all my 2nd grade classmates in the math competition when I moved to GA. (Colby, remind me to show you this one day.)

I have a highly addictive personality, so when I find something I like, like spicy food or *ahem* blogging, I tend to stick with it for a while.

When I listen to a song, I can't just listen to it. I count it in counts of eight, and I measure its dance-ability. For those of you who do this same thing, more than likely because you have had dance training in the past, I challenge you to go listen to the Pink Floyd song Money. See if that strange dropped/extra count doesn't drive you absolutely insane.

So there are my OCD tendencies - how about yours?

7 comments:

Steve said...

I'm a compulsive IMDB searcher. As soon as I finish watching a movie or discover a new TV show, I spend about half an hour trying to identify the supporting actors and find other interesting things the main actors have done.

Keep up the great blogging!

Unknown said...

OMG, you're comment about the song "Money" made me laugh. My hubby loves Pink Floyd and his ex-wife is a money hungry you know what. Well his ring tone for her was that song. Everytime she called we heard the chorus. It still cracks me up.

Let's see...my OCD. When I buy chicken at the store, I have to grab it with 3 papertowels, bag it 3 times and then slather antibacterial cleaner on my hands.

All dishes have to be on the left side of the sink.

And, everywhere we go, whether it a restaraunt or concert or amusement park (you get the picture) I have to add up how much money I think it makes. It drives my husband crazy...

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now.. :)

MJ said...

Steve - I can sympathize with your IMDB fetish. I always have the problem of "where have I seen that guy before?" And then once get stuck in the IMDB clicking chain, it's aaalll over...

Lucky - All dishes SHOULD be left on the side of the sink...

Aubrey said...

Morning MJ!
OMG, I totally do the counting dots thing too! My 3rd grade teacher would be so proud.

MJ said...

! Wow! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who counts that way lol.

colbymarshall said...

I am excited to learn this counting method!

Danielle said...

Touchpoints! I love touchpoints! That's the only way I can add, subtract, or multiply...

I thought about commenting on my OCD tendencies, but, well, I think it would take too long to get them all. One that has been noted recently: I have to have equally spaced marks on the carpet after vaccuming.