Tuesday, June 10, 2008

B-Double-O-T-Y, Oh My...

So, I was listening to some Tag Team on the way back to work from lunch, and I was thinking about how they just don't write rap like they used to. The following is a post that is going to make me (and probably you) feel really old.

The stuff that is out now all sounds the same. It's all about sex, drugs, money, dubs.... Don't get me wrong, I know all the old stuff was all about that too, but it was more innuendo then just flat out "slap a ho!"

The lyrics were funny, generally complex, and actually rhymed. Now it's like they just say the same line over and over, adding in an "uuuuuuuh, yeeeeeeeeah" every now and again.

The songs were catchy and fun! And even as complex as the lyrics were, we still knew all the words to most of the songs!
"Rollin' in my five-point-o with my rag top down so my hair can blow..."
"Man, parents just don't understand..."
"Yo, let me bust the funky lyrics (you can't touch this)..."
"But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda..."
"So don't just stand there, bust a move..."

And who doesn't know all the words to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song? "Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside-down..." Now you're humming it aren't you?

I don't mean to sound like an old man (Darn kids with their baggy pants and loud music... Get off my lawn!!!). I'm just saying that there is not the same passion and creativity in today's rap music as there used to be. Now you have east coast versus west coast, but it all sounds pretty much the same, with the west coast leaning a little more towards "old school" rap.

And most of it is friggin' depressing - like Emo or something. No wonder "gangstas" shoot each other all the time. THEY'RE DEPRESSED.
Every other word is a word that has to be censored by public radio, but half the time you can't hear the lyrics anyway because the bass is so loud! It's like they forgot that there are other variables to music besides bass!

I really hate it for the talented pioneers of rap music. That kind of rap is pretty much dead now. It's been replaced with words that encourage people to hoard money, be promiscuous, and kill anyone that gets in their way. It basically teaches the listener to put more value in things than people.

Note to Self: "In west Philadelphia born and raised..." Yeah, you'll have that song in your head all day now... Better than "Oh I've got a lov-e-ly bunch of coconuts..." Oh dangit.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...Im getting an eery feeling because Busta Move had just come on when I read this...

I LOVE those classics...

MJ said...

Yes "classics" is a good word. I'm not ready to say "oldies" yet. lol. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

WWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAT!

YEEEEAAAAAAAAH!!!

OOO-KAY!

MJ said...

LMAO! Nice...

Sornie said...

Yes, the old school rap had much more of a party vibe to it. Today's rap is much more sexualized. Not that the latter is bad but sometimes a party is just more socially acceptable.

MJ said...

Sornie - Yes, I imagine publicly a party is more socially acceptable than sex. LOL. Nobody needs to see/hear all that!

Anonymous said...

...there they are a-standing in a row...big ones, small ones, some as big as your head..."

Doggone it! This is retribution for the rubber tree plant song, isn't it. You already got me with It's a Small World, you know. No need to be cruel.

MJ said...

>:)

Unknown said...

I’m an old lady that walks with a cane .. I never heard this song until today when my TV was left on the station where America Got Talent came on … I was working at the computer so I didn’t bother to get up and turn .. I looked up a few times to see an act that made me cringe and a few that I wondered how did they get on the show in the first place .. Then came this young man who at first came on very hyper, loud and pumped up .. And he began to sing B double O ty … now in it’s repeating lyrics of a few simple words, his song and act were really enjoyable .. just why this song gave me such a smile .. I’m still trying to figure it out … and in defense of his repeating word lyrics, I’m reminded of a song by James Brown where even today I can only remember “baby baby baby, baby baby baby, I got the feeling“ … and the world loved it …