Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Four Loves: Part II

This book is wonderful! I am now in the chapter on friendship, where Lewis penned his famous words: "The typical expression of opening friendship would be something like, 'What? You too? I thought I was the only one.'"

In this next excerpt he is describing friendship as it may or may not relate to Eros (passionate love):

The coexistence of Friendship and Eros may also help some moderns to realise that Friendship is in reality a love, and even as great a love as Eros. Suppose you are fortunate enough to have "fallen in love with" and married your Friend. And now suppose that it is possible that you were offered the choice of two future: "Either you two will cease to be lovers but remain forever [Friends,] joint seekers of the same God, the same beauty, the same truth, or else, losing all that, you will retain as long as you live the raptures and ardours, all the wonder and the wild desire of Eros. Choose which you please." Which should we choose? Which choice should we not regret after we had made it?

I'm so glad I don't have to choose between love and friendship.
I'm very blessed to have found both in one man.

No comments: