Thursday, June 19, 2008

Christmas Don't Be Laaaate...

Who didn't love the Chipmunks? And what one thing did Alvin want?

A hula hoop! Today marks the 50th birthday of the modern Hula Hoop introduced by the Wham-O toy company back in 1958.

Other semi-dangerous, yet oh-so-fun, toys created by Wham-O:

Silly String
Frisbee
Slip N Slide
Super Ball
Hacky Sack
Boogie Board

Who didn't own at least one of each of those as a kid? Silly string provided endless hours of fun for me and endless hours of torture for my brother... when I say endless, I mean until the can ran out and he punched me and I cried.

Note to Self: I had always wanted a Slip N Slide, but the parentals insisted that a tarp spread out on a hill with a water hose was sufficient.

9 comments:

Pretty Unfamous said...

We had a slip-n-slide when I was little. I'm still afraid of them.... They just seem way too dangerous for me to want to try!

colbymarshall said...

Slip-n-slide...talk about a disaster waiting to happen. But they are still awesome!

Anonymous said...

I had all of those (except maybe the super ball...I dont know what that one is)

I'll offer this bit of advise...a grown man should not throw himself face/belly/boy parts first unless he doesnt care to ever have children again...go butt first fellas.

MJ said...

Angela - I got all kinds of scrapes and bruises, but I was tomboyish and I considered them battle scars.

CM - If by disaster you mean unending, torturous fun, then yes!

VV - A superball was one of those bouncy balls that bounced unnecessarily high - basically what all other bouncy balls wanted to but never did achieve. Oh and a solution to the face first conundrum - football pads.

Sornie said...

Ah, the slip-n-slide, keeping emergency rooms in business for decades.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever get to play with Klackers?

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8756/klackers2te2.jpg

MJ said...

Sornie - Very true. Nowadays I hear it's more stupidity that keeps them in business than slip n slides. : )

Betme - Something extremely obnoxious I could bother my brother with AND that could possibly become a dangerous projectile? You know it.

Anonymous said...

Slinky! A long piece of metal that was wound round and round. It "walked" down your stairs. Slinky wouldn't make it to the market today. I wonder what genius decided that a piece of metal (that could be wound around lots of body parts, too) was a good child's toy?
We made our own slip and slid....black trash bags, liquid detergent.

MJ said...

Ah. Slinky.

What walks down stairs
Alone or in pairs
And makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring
A marvelous thing
Everyone knows it's a slinky!